No matter how healthy we try to be, sometimes you just have to have a snack. So why not make that snack a healthy one?! I enjoy eating baby carrot sticks and having an apple when I have midday or late night cravings but there are times where it just doesn’t feel as fulfilling as having a big slice of cake or a giant fudgy chocolate bar. Keep reading for the recipe to this super delicious, cake-brownie-like treat that will give you the same ‘sugary sweet’ satisfaction minus the massive amount of guilt (oh and its super easy too!)
So I found this recipe originally containing a few different ingredients but have changed a lot of stuff around in order to make it my own as well as peanut-free.
Bowties Almond-butter Carob Chip Blondies
- 2 large raw plantains (these can be greenish and not fully ripened yet)
- 3/4 cup (or 6 oz) natural creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) of maple syrup or 2.5 tablespoons of agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) of coconut oil or 2 (1 oz) tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil if you can’t find coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.08 oz) of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.08 oz) of baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon (just a pinch) of sea salt
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) of carob chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 Celsius)
- Grease a 8in x 8in (square) baking pan with some coconut or olive oil
- Peel plantains and slice
- Place plantains into a food processor or blender and the almond butter. Blend.
- Once blended, add the syrup, oil, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the blender and then cover and continue to blend till a nice fully blended and fluffy texture.
- Pour batter into a mixing bowl
- Fold in carob chips into your batter till they’re evenly mixed in
- Pour into your baking pan and evenly spread
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes
- Let cool
- Cut into slices
Your baked treats can be stored in the fridge or can also be frozen for a longer shelf life. They’re excellent served warm or with a nice coconut milk or banana blended ice cream <3